Tuesday, April 21, 2009

The Number Cruncher


Meet Anim - the other half of La Pari Pari's management team.

She's the one who crunches the numbers and has been instrumental in helping me understand and believe that we are capable of building La Pari Pari.

I don't have a head for figures. I also have a terrible sense of direction.  So much so that for my fortieth birthday, I bought myself a GPS device for my car.

But I digress.

The whole point of this post was to talk about opposites.

Anim and I could not be more different in our viewpoints, backgrounds, perspectives and training.  I am a marketing and communications person.  I know how to sell things.  She, on the other hand, comes from a finance background and has worked with several small businesses over the years.  She's seen the realities of having to balance the books and ensuring that you always have more than enough in your kitty to pay the staff and vendors.

I write stories.  She reads stories voraciously.

I like nice things.  She tends to sway towards the simpler aspects of life in most ways.

I think long-term.  She's into the details.

I'm chatty.  She's quiet.

And together, I actually think we make a pretty good pair when it comes to work.  Of course, there's tension, especially when someone like me who is more verbally-oriented tries to talk to someone whose brain immediately translates everything into figures.  You should hear us arguing.  It's like a chicken and duck talking!

But we've learned to laugh about it.  Really.  I think that's super important.

Besides, I'm scared of her big, orange calculator....


1 comment:

BlogCatalog

resorts Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory