Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Once Upon A Time....

While flipping through the newspapers during lunch hour one seemingly unfateful day, I paused to peruse the Classifieds section.  I don't know why I did it.  It's an old habit I picked up some years ago out of boredom.  And there, nestled in between ads for once-loved furniture of an expat couple moving out of KL and puppies for sale was THE ONE.  It was a modest entry, considering the possibilities it offered.

It advertised a small resort for sale on the island of Langkawi.  I blinked and re-read it a couple times.  It seemed too good to be true.

Finally, I gave the advertiser a call.  The resort was a small place, just over ten rooms, already operating and apparently turning a decent profit.  The owner was leaving the country and needed to sell it quickly.  Even the price sounded right.

A few hours and excited phone calls between my sister Karen and I later, we made the decision to go and check the little resort out.  Little did I know then, how much it would change my life.

I suppose my reason for wanting to explore the possibility of completely trading in my life for a new one was at once impulsive and at the same time paradoxically calculated.  I had spent over 15 years building a career for myself in the Malaysian corporate world.  In that span of time, I guess I felt I had exhausted all attractive possibilities.  By my mid-thirties I had already become Bosswoman to some twenty-over staff in an international communications agency.  Then I went on to what some would say is a plum job in quasi-Government-linked company land.  A job that some would say was a cradle to grave one - the only way you would lose it was to leave.

There was little else I saw worth pursuing upwards of my rung on the corporate ladder.  Most of the people I knew in senior management were unhappy, pressured largely by the need to not fail than the passion for their work, worried about keeping up with the payments on their Mercedes-Benzes and BMWs rather than wondering what new horizons lay within their lines of sight.  Internal politiciking that resulted in too many inconclusive, drawn out meetings that ultimately were of little consequence didn't help either.

In short, I was bored.  And there was a part of me that increasingly wanted to pursue a personal passion of mine - to write and be published.  I felt creatively strangled by my nine-to-five job.  I hated going to work in the morning and when I got there, there was little to keep me interested or inspired.

Over the years, I had always played this cat-and-mouse game with my mental self.  Changing jobs and moving on to newer and better things - all of which only served to keep me enamoured for a little while until routine and boredom set in again.  The truth is, I did a decent job and got on well with most of my colleagues in almost every place I have ever worked.  But the prospect of chasing sales targets and Key Personal Indicators that kept moving farther and farther away each year didn't appeal to me anymore.

So when I stumbled across the ad, I had to stop and breathe.  It was as if all of a sudden I literally found myself at the crossroads where I had been for a while, except this time the fog had cleared and a new path had revealed itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

BlogCatalog

resorts Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory